Report: Holloway out of Rodriguez fight due to injury
Max Holloway is out of the UFC Fight Night main event against Yair Rodriguez on July 17 due to an undisclosed injury, sources told ESPN's Carlos Contreras Legaspi.
The promotion will attempt to reschedule the bout for a later date, Legaspi added. A new main event for the July 17 card should be determined within the coming days.
Holloway, a former UFC featherweight champion, was looking to build upon the momentum he gained during a performance-of-the-year candidate against Calvin Kattar in January. After suffering two straight losses to current champ Alexander Volkanovski in 2019 and 2020, he returned to the win column with a lopsided decision victory.
Rodriguez, another top-three featherweight, hasn't stepped into the Octagon since a decision win over Jeremy Stephens in October 2019. The Mexico-born fighter was scheduled to face Zabit Magomedsharipov last summer, but he had to withdraw due to an ankle injury.
The match between Holloway and Rodriguez likely would've determined a No. 1 contender at 145 pounds, with the winner going on to face either Volkanovski or Brian Ortega for the belt.
- Dillashaw pulls out gutsy win in return from 2-year suspension
- UFC prospect Barber back on track with split decision victory over Maverick
- Report: Sterling-Yan 2 added to UFC 267
- Ostovich defeats VanZant by unanimous decision at Bare Knuckle FC 19
- Ladd-Chiasson co-main event removed from Fight Night card