Covington expects Woodley to take dive vs. Jake Paul
Chris Unger / UFC / Getty

Colby Covington doesn't think the Aug. 28 boxing match between YouTube star Jake Paul and former UFC champion Tyron Woodley is going to be a legitimate contest.

Covington, the No. 1-ranked UFC welterweight contender who holds a September 2020 win over Woodley, predicted earlier this week that the 39-year-old will throw the fight against Paul.

"I really think Tyron's going out there to take a dive," Covington told MMA Junkie's Mike Bohn. "I think he's broke, he needs the money, he's got mouths to feed, he's got a lot of alimony paychecks to pay. I think he's just going to go out there and take a dive, and it's going to be a circus.

"We know boxing is the most corrupt sport in the world as it is, so this little side circus they're doing with Jake Paul, of course, they're going to favor it his way to make it a work."

Woodley is one of the greatest welterweights ever and successfully defended his belt four times from 2016-18, but he parted ways with the UFC earlier in 2021 after four straight losses.

If Paul beats Woodley in their boxing match, Covington won't consider it a "credible" victory because he believes the former UFC champ is past his prime.

"Without a doubt, (Paul)'s picking these fights with guys that are kind of toward the end of their careers," Covington said. "Make no mistake, Tyron has a great legacy. He was a world champion for a couple times. But he's past his time. ... Jake is taking the right steps and taking the right fights with the right fighters that are kind of at the end of their careers and don't really have enough gas left in the tank.

"It's sad. But they're doing this on purpose."

Comments
Covington expects Woodley to take dive vs. Jake Paul
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox