Blachowicz hints at Adesanya fight: Prepare for fireworks
UFC light heavyweight champion Jan Blachowicz seems to think his first title defense may come against middleweight champ Israel Adesanya.
Blachowicz tweeted on Thursday that he's heard Adesanya wants to fight him. He expressed interest in the matchup himself and mentioned March as a possible time frame.
After Adesanya beat Paulo Costa in September, the 185-pound champion said he expected to face the winner of Robert Whittaker versus Jared Cannonier in his next bout.
Former champ Whittaker won via unanimous decision at UFC 254, but Adesanya is no longer interested in that clash, according to ESPN's Ariel Helwani. "The Last Stylebender" knocked out Whittaker to win the belt in October 2019.
Blachowicz finished Dominick Reyes at UFC 253 to capture the vacant 205-pound title. Many believe the Nov. 7 main event between Thiago Santos and Glover Teixeira will determine Blachowicz's first challenger.
- McKee-Freire gets date, Horiguchi to vie for inaugural Bellator flyweight belt
- White says UFC working with Adam Sandler on comedy show
- Dern clobbers Hill over 5 rounds to cap UFC Fight Night
- USADA: McGregor to re-enter drug-testing pool 'immediately'
- Adesanya: Ngannou's PFL deal 'can force the UFC to change'