Volkanovski: 3rd fight vs. Holloway 'doesn't make any sense'
UFC featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski has no interest in running it back a third time against Max Holloway - at least this soon.
After capturing the 145-pound belt with a unanimous decision over Holloway last December, Volkanovski retained it via split decision in a rematch at UFC 251 earlier in July.
Many thought Holloway did enough to win the second fight and tie their series at 1-1. UFC president Dana White said Monday "it's hard to not" consider booking the trilogy bout. However, Volkanovski takes issue with that.
"We know that last fight was close, but the judges gave me the decision, and that's that," Volkanovski told Submission Radio on Tuesday, according to MMA Fighting's Jed Meshew. "And in the first fight, even though it was competitive, I pretty clearly won that fight. So, to just give him another rematch straight away and put the division on hold, it just doesn't make any sense."
Volkanovski said he'd rather face off with a new challenger in his second title defense. Featherweights Chan Sung Jung, Zabit Magomedsharipov, and Yair Rodriguez are all in contention and could potentially serve as his next opponent.
That said, the Australian did leave the door open for a Holloway trilogy bout down the road.
"I understand why people want to see the (Holloway) fight again, but at the same time, I won twice back-to-back," Volkanovski said. "It can definitely be a big fight in the future, as well. But for right now, I've got a division that I want to hold and I don't want to keep on hold. So, I want No. 1 contenders, I want some fresh blood in there. So, we'll see who that is."