Adesanya says Romero tilt will happen: 'The fight's done'
UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya says it's just a matter of time before his title defense against Yoel Romero is made official.
"The fight's done," Adesanya told Ariel Helwani's MMA Show on Monday. "I literally just got to the gym now. I'm about to get some work in. Make no mistake, I'm still putting work in. I'm still getting ready for my second title defense against a veteran in the game, a veteran in the wrestling, a tough motherf-----, the boogeyman of the division, the guy no one calls out - except 'Stylebender.'"
Adesanya said the fight will likely take place at UFC 248 on March 7 in Las Vegas.
"The Last Stylebender" said the reason there's been a delay in getting the bout finalized is that his team and the UFC left their negotiations to "simmer" over the holidays. UFC president Dana White confirmed last month that Adesanya-Romero was in the works.
"The fight will happen, and it will happen on our terms as well," Adesanya said. "I'm happy. I have no doubt that I'm going to get what I want out of this fight."
Adesanya finished Robert Whittaker at UFC 243 last October to capture the undisputed middleweight title. He is 7-0 in the Octagon.
UFC 248 will also feature a strawweight title fight between champion Zhang Weili and Joanna Jedrzejczyk.
- Jones dismisses Aspinall's assertion that UFC should strip his title
- White: Turner-Green stoppage 'one of the worst I've ever seen'
- Perry beats Alvarez by corner stoppage in BKFC 56 main event
- White reacts to PFL's acquisition of Bellator: 'Sounds like a f-----g winner'
- Tsarukyan KOs Dariush 64 seconds into UFC Austin main event