Former welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz could return to the UFC next year, and the 36-year-old has his sights set on BMF titleholder Jorge Masvidal, who recently defeated Nick's younger brother Nate Diaz at UFC 244.
"This guy (Masvidal) can do anything he wants to do right now to make the most money possible," Nick said on Monday's edition of "Ariel Helwani's MMA Show." "I'm like, you know, do the damn thing. ... I'm doing my part, you do yours. They can do their part and then the show could go on."
The 34-year-old Masvidal (35-13) has won six of his last eight bouts and captured the BMF title earlier in November with a TKO (doctor's stoppage) victory over Nate. The elder Diaz has revenge on his mind in targeting Masvidal as his next opponent.
"You want to talk about baptizing my younger brother?" he said. "That's on you. Like, you don't talk about baptizing my younger brother, so you're already in a f----d position if you fight with me. You don't f-----g talk about baptizing someone's younger brother. That's my baby brother. You don't talk like that to nobody."
Nick (26-9-NC) hasn't fought since a no-contest decision against former middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 183 in January 2015. The ruling was overturned after Silva tested positive for banned substances; Nick also failed a drug test for marijuana metabolites. The Nevada State Athletic Commission initially suspended Nick for five years, but later reduced the penalty to 18 months.
Nick's manager, Kevin Mubenga, also told ESPN he's targeting a spring 2020 return at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The Stockton, California, native is winless in his last three bouts and would be looking for his first win since October 2011.