Braves' Ozuna removed from game for not hustling on fly ball
Atlanta Braves outfielder Marcell Ozuna was pulled from Sunday's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks after not running hard out of the box on a fly ball to center field.
Ozuna drilled a pitch from Diamondbacks ace Zac Gallen 415 feet but only ended up with a single after jogging out of the box, thinking it was going to be a home run.
The ball had an exit velocity of 107.2 mph and would have been a home run in 23 of 30 MLB stadiums, including Truist Park in Atlanta.
Braves manager Brian Snitker replaced Ozuna with Sean Murphy for the remainder of the game.
"I guarantee he feels worse than I do for having to take him out," Snitker said, according to The Associated Press.
Ozuna has found his stride at the plate after struggling to start the season. The 32-year-old owns a .780 OPS with 11 home runs and 23 RBIs across 44 games in 2023.
- Report: Mets land Severino on 1-year, $13M deal
- Cardinals raised their floor with free-agent arms, but their ceiling remains low
- Orioles' Bautista, Brewers' Williams honored as MLB Relievers of the Year
- Report: Padres, Yankees exchange names in Soto trade talks; agreement not close
- Blue Jays priced as 2nd betting favorite to sign Ohtani