Rays acquire Robert Stephenson from Pirates
The Tampa Bay Rays acquired right-handed reliever Robert Stephenson from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for infield prospect Alika Williams, the clubs announced Friday.
Stephenson spent the last two seasons with the Pirates. The 30-year-old registered an 0-3 record with a 5.14 ERA and 17 strikeouts across 18 appearances with Pittsburgh this season.
Stephenson will provide Rays manager Kevin Cash with another option out of the bullpen. Tampa Bay placed closer Pete Fairbanks on the injured list earlier this week.
Rays relievers rank 22nd in the league in ERA (4.32), 29th in fWAR (-0.4), and 30th in K/9 (7.24).
Tampa selected Williams in the first round in 2020. The 24-year-old is hitting .237/.314/.417 with five home runs, 23 RBIs, and three stolen bases across 156 at-bats in Double-A this season.
- Red Sox say Wakefield in treatment after Schilling leaks illness news
- Prodigy realized: All that's left for Bryce Harper is to win a World Series
- Judge: Yankees' season has felt like 'dragged out, painful death'
- The Atlanta Braves are hitting like the 1927 Yankees - really
- MLB Thursday best bets: Blue Jays to rebound vs. Yankees