Orioles send top pitching prospect Rodriguez to minors
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — The Baltimore Orioles optioned right-hander Grayson Rodriguez to Triple-A Norfolk, sending one of the game's top pitching prospects to the minors as opening day approaches.
The Orioles also released utilityman Franchy Cordero and outfielder Nomar Mazara.
Rodriguez went 6-1 with a 2.20 ERA at Triple-A last season, and he's ranked as the game's No. 7 prospect by MLB Pipeline. However, he posted a 7.04 ERA in five starts this spring.
Baltimore also reassigned right-hander Eduard Bazardo, outfielder Daz Cameron, right-hander Reed Garrett, catcher Maverick Handley, infielder Josh Lester, infielder Ryan O’Hearn and infielder Jordan Westburg to Norfolk.
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Judge: Yankees' season has felt like 'dragged out, painful death'
- Prodigy realized: All that's left for Bryce Harper is to win a World Series
- Astros' Neris shouts at Mariners' Rodríguez, causing benches to empty
- The Atlanta Braves are hitting like the 1927 Yankees - really
- Acuña establishes 40-70 club to key Braves' comeback win over Cubs