Yankees top Forbes' list of most valuable MLB franchises
The New York Yankees are the most valuable Major League Baseball franchise entering the 2023 season, according to Forbes.
The Yankees claimed the top spot on the list with with a staggering $7.1-billion valuation, up 18% from 2022. The Los Angeles Dodgers ($4.8 billion), Boston Red Sox ($4.5 billion), Chicago Cubs ($4.1 billion), and San Francisco Giants ($3.7 billion) round out the top five.
The New York Mets come in at sixth with an estimated value of $2.9 billion. That represents a 9% increase from 2022, but the Mets suffered the league's biggest operating loss last year at $138.5 million.
The average MLB team is up 12% in value from last year, according to Forbes' Mike Ozanian and Justin Teitelbaum.
The Seattle Mariners, who sit in 13th place at $2.2 billion, experienced the biggest jump in value among all 30 clubs, with a 29% boost from 2022.
Here's the complete list:
|1||New York Yankees||$7.1B||18%|
|2||Los Angeles Dodgers||$4.8B||18%|
|3||Boston Red Sox||$4.5B||15%|
|5||San Francisco Giants||$3.7B||6%|
|6||New York Mets||$2.9B||9%|
|7||Los Angeles Angels||$2.7B||23%|
|10||St. Louis Cardinals||$2.550B||4%|
|14||Toronto Blue Jays||$2.1B||18%|
|15||Chicago White Sox||$2.05B||16%|
|17||San Diego Padres||$1.75B||11%|
|26||Tampa Bay Rays||$1.25B||14%|
|27||Kansas City Royals||$1.2B||8%|
- Phillies' Thomson ejected after ump refuses to reset pitch clock for Nola
- Reds' De La Cruz: 'I am the fastest man in the world'
- Cohen calm amid Mets' slide: Blowing it up 'doesn't really solve anything'
- MLB MVP Rankings: Historic starts for contenders highlight 2 close races
- A's keep rolling, beat Brewers again for season-high 4-game win streak