Jays drop another game to Twins after losing Springer to IL
Toronto recalled infielder Otto Lopez in a corresponding move.
Deadline acquisition Whit Merrifield started in center field for Saturday's 7-3 loss. He went 1-for-3 before Raimel Tapia pinch hit for the utility man in the eighth inning and took over defensively the following frame.
Springer has gotten regular maintenance days off since late July with the elbow ailment. The 32-year-old initially underwent tests for elbow discomfort in late June. He is slated to receive an anti-inflammatory injection as treatment within the next 24 hours.
The four-time All-Star is hitting .251/.331/.464 with 18 homers and 10 steals while appearing in 89 of 107 games in 2022. This is Springer's first time on the IL this season, and the move is retroactive to Aug. 5.
Springer hasn't appeared in center field since July 28, acting as the designated hitter in two games since then.
Lopez, 23, has played one contest at the major-league level this year but hasn't made a plate appearance. He's hitting .267/.357/.424 with three homers and 10 steals in 23 games with Triple-A Buffalo.
- Mariners clinch 1st postseason berth since 2001 with Raleigh's walk-off HR
- Astros clinch home-field advantage through ALCS, Yanks get No. 2 seed
- Rays secure playoff spot for 4th straight season
- To dream the impossible dream - and then decide it's time to let it go
- Braves beat Mets to move into tie for division lead