Royals dismiss hitting coach, shuffle staff
Senior director of player development Alex Zumwalt will now join the big-league staff as a hitting coach. Both Keoni DeRenne and Mike Tosar will resume their roles as assistant hitting coach and special assignment hitting coach, respectively.
The Royals are currently 12-20, sitting in fourth place in the AL Central with the worst run differential in the Junior Circuit.
As a team, Kansas City is hitting .224/.289/.336 with an 85 wRC+, which ranks third-worst in the AL ahead of the dead last Oakland Athletics (77) and division-rival Detroit Tigers (83).
Perhaps most emblematic of the team's failures at the plate is the fact Whit Merrifield has been struggling. The two-time All-Star set a franchise record in 2019 with a 31-game hit streak but is now hitting .183 over his first 32 games this year.
- Freeman mulling agent change after 'emotional time' in Atlanta
- Vlad Jr. turns down Home Run Derby invite to protect wrist
- Report: Harper to undergo thumb surgery with roughly 6-week recovery
- Oneil Cruz among NL Rookie of the Year favorites after dazzling '22 debut
- MLB Tuesday best bets: Dodgers to rebound in Colorado