Report: Yankees land top international prospect Arias for $4M
Arias, 17, is the No. 1-ranked international prospect, according to MLB.com. The switch-hitting shortstop from the Dominican Republic is considered above average on both sides of the ball, with the potential to develop as an elite hitter.
The league's international signing period opened on Saturday, with teams eligible to use their bonus-pool allotments to land eligible prospects from Latin America.
In landing Arias, the Yankees are using over three-quarters of their nearly $5.2-million bonus pool. They'll have approximately $1.2 million left to sign other international prospects.
Arias joins a farm system arguably headlined by fellow Dominican Jasson Dominguez. The Yankees landed the highly touted outfielder in July 2019 on a $5.1-million bonus.
- Yankees' Donaldson suspended 1 game for inappropriate comments to Anderson
- Anderson carries perfect game into 6th as Dodgers cruise to win over Nats
- Counsell: Peralta 'to miss a significant amount of time' with shoulder injury
- Ortiz: Red Sox 'would be stupid' to let Bogaerts go
- MLB Monday best bets: Dodgers, Twins to batter lousy competition