Rays clinch 2nd straight AL East title with victory over Marlins
The Tampa Bay Rays defeated the Miami Marlins 7-3 on Saturday to clinch the AL East title.
This is the fourth time in franchise history and second consecutive year that the Rays have won the division.
The Rays were able to clinch after the Boston Red Sox lost to the New York Yankees earlier in the day.
At 96-59, Tampa Bay has the best record in the American League and appears poised to have home-field advantage throughout the bulk of the postseason. Only the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers have won more games.
This is the fourth time the Rays have won at least 96 games, and one more victory will match the franchise record for the most in a single season. The 2008 squad went 97-65 en route to the club's first trip to the World Series.
- Report: Yankees bringing Boone back on 3-year contract
- Correa loved E-Rod mocking his celebration: 'Go out there and have fun'
- Schwarber, Red Sox slam Astros to take 2-1 lead in ALCS
- Astros' Greinke starting Game 4 of ALCS, will be his 1st start in a month
- Report: Tatis not expected to have shoulder surgery this winter