Angels' Rendon to undergo season-ending hip surgery
Rendon, who is in the second season of a 7-year, $245-million contract, hit .240/.329/.382 with six home runs in 58 games in 2021. The 31-year-old last played on July 4.
The Angels didn't announce a date for the procedure, but the team expects Rendon will be ready for Opening Day in 2022, according to MLB.com's Rhett Bollinger.
Jack Mayfield has been drawing hot corner duties of late in Rendon's absence.
Rendon isn't the only high-profile name missing plenty of action for the Angels this season. Three-time AL MVP Mike Trout has been limited to 36 games and has been out since May 17 due to a calf injury.
- Orioles stun Yankees in extras after late comeback
- The Brewer Way: How Milwaukee became a World Series contender
- La Russa: Ohtani plunking unintentional, umps 'made a mistake'
- Ohtani to miss next start, Angels hoping he'll pitch again in 2021
- Cohen: Former Marlins exec is anonymous source speaking out against Mets