There might still be time left for an offseason blockbuster.
Blue Jays president and CEO Mark Shapiro and general manager Ross Atkins both previously worked for Cleveland and were partly responsible for the Indians selecting Lindor eighth overall in the 2011 draft.
Atkins said last week the team is "extremely open to something of significant impact," according to Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet. He said such an addition would likely have to come in a trade, but added pulling off a deal of that nature "is very difficult to do."
Indians president Chris Antonetti said earlier in January he expects Lindor to be on Cleveland's Opening Day roster.
News of the Blue Jays' inquiry follows young shortstop Bo Bichette's comments suggesting he's open to a potential position switch.
"(There are) certain guys on the (trading) block that I'd be more than willing to move for," Bichette told assembled media on Saturday during the team's new jersey unveiling.
Lindor is entering his second-last season of arbitration eligibility and will be able to hit free agency following the 2021 season. The 26-year-old avoided arbitration earlier this winter, signing a one-year deal worth $17.5 million with the Indians.
The four-time All-Star, two-time Gold Glove winner, and two-time Silver Slugger hit .284/.335/.518 with 32 homers and 22 stolen bases over 143 games in 2019.