Phillies' Kapler in awe of Alfaro's dynamite throw to end game
It was almost the perfect bunt, but Jorge Alfaro was ready to end the game.
Atlanta Braves outfielder Ender Inciarte tried to reach base with two outs in the ninth inning against Philadelphia Phillies closer Hector Neris, by laying a bunt down the third-base line. Phillies catcher Jorge Alfaro sprang to his feet, fielded the ball, and fired a laser throw to get Inciarte at first, finishing the 3-0 shutout.
After the game, Phillies manager Gabe Kapler was more than impressed with the defensive efforts of his strong-armed catcher.
"I don't know if there's another catcher that I've ever seen - and I played with Pudge (Ivan Rodriguez) - that makes that play in the ninth inning," Kapler said, according to Meghan Montemurro of The Athletic.
It wasn't the only slick play Alfaro made on the night, either. He showcased his defensive prowess with a pair of plays in the seventh inning.
It's safe to say that the Phillies may not have cruised to a shutout win had it not been for Alfaro's game behind the dish.
(Videos courtesy: MLB.com)
- Ohtani joins elite company with 3rd straight Edgar Martínez Outstanding DH Award
- 5 trades we want to see at MLB's winter meetings
- Report: Orioles contact relievers Hader, Kimbrel, Chapman, Hicks
- NL Central team needs heading into winter meetings
- Maeda hopes signing with Tigers will spread Detroit logo's use in Japan