In addition to the reported five-year, $125-million offer that is believed to be on the table from the Red Sox, Martinez has received a one-year deal from the Arizona Diamondbacks, according to Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports. The free agent has discussed both short- and long-term proposals with the Diamondbacks, Nightengale adds.
The Diamondbacks' front office has said all winter that it hoped to retain Martinez, but also acknowledged that it would be difficult to offer the same type of money a team like Boston could. A one-year deal, however, would allow Arizona to fit him within its payroll, while also allowing Martinez to re-enter the market next winter in hopes of finding a more lucrative deal or a better fit.
Despite being the best hitter available in free agency, Martinez's market has never really developed, and it's believed that he's grown frustrated after receiving far less than he hoped for when free agency began. The Red Sox made their offer last month and refuse to raise it and outbid themselves.
It was reported Tuesday that Martinez had become fed up with the Red Sox due to their inflexibility and wants to sign elsewhere, though his agent Scott Boras said later that night that his client has not closed the door on Boston.
"The dialogue is ongoing, we have not reached any kind of agreement," Boras told Evan Drellich of CSN Boston.