Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is reportedly unwilling to let Sergio Ramos leave the Santiago Bernabeu.
Perez told the 29-year-old centre-back "he would not be sold under any circumstances," according to Sid Lowe of the Guardian, during a long meeting in Guangzhou, China that ran into Sunday night. Real Madrid is in China participating in the Intercontinental Champions Cup.
Apparently in attendance were Perez, Ramos, Jose Angel Sanchez, the club's chief executive, and Rene, the player's brother and agent.
As a result of the meeting, there is allegedly a belief Ramos' departure from Real Madrid is now impossible, marking a setback in Manchester United's pursuit of the defender. United reportedly made a second offer of £35.4 million at the end of June and the club is now contemplating its next move.
Lowe elaborates:
United’s position is that they will not sell David De Gea unless they are allowed to sign Ramos. As it stands, the goalkeeper would be forced to stay at Old Trafford. Whether United will continue to stick to that stance, following the news from China and having confirmed the signing of the goalkeeper Sergio Romero from Sampdoria, remains to be seen.
Pérez sought to rebuild bridges, aware that his relationship with Ramos has become difficult, but more significant was his refusal to budge. He insisted that any attempt from Ramos to publicly declare his desire to leave would not make a departure more likely; it would rather just make the player’s relationship with the supporters difficult.
The report echoes comments made by newly appointed manager Rafa Benitez, who stated earlier this month: "I believe Florentina Perez has said, perhaps not publicly but I have read it somewhere, that Ramos will continue and that he will remain here."
Ramos' contract expires in July 2017, while one year remains on De Gea's contract.










