Spain's Gavi nursing minor injury after Germany match
DOHA, Qatar (AP) — Teenager Gavi did not practice with Spain on Monday, a day after the team’s draw with Germany at the World Cup.
Gavi was nursing a minor injury sustained in the 1-1 draw at Al Bayt Stadium on Sunday.
The 18-year-old midfielder was substituted in the 66th minute against Germany, shortly after Spain took a 1-0 lead.
The injury was not expected to keep Gavi from being available in the final group match against Japan on Thursday. Spain needs a draw go reach the round of 16.
Gavi scored once in the team’s 7-0 rout of Costa Rica, becoming the youngest World Cup scorer since Pelé in 1958.
He and 20-year-old Pedri are leading a revamped Spain squad trying to win its second World Cup, and first major title since the 2012 European Championship.
AP World Cup coverage: https://apnews.com/hub/world-cup and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Women's UCL: Barca thrash Roma, Arsenal topple Bayern to reach semis
- By the numbers: Biggest storylines from the international break
- New Spain boss De la Fuente already under pressure after shock loss to Scotland
- Ansu Fati's father wants son to leave Barcelona over lack of playing time
- McTominay stars as Scotland beats Spain for 1st time since 1984