Roma eliminated from top-four contention after blowing lead vs. Fiorentina
A late collapse at Fiorentina officially ended Roma's dwindling chance of reaching the Champions League via Serie A placing in a battle of teams in European finals.
With one league match left, Jose Mourinho's side is four points off fourth spot after strikes from Luka Jovic and Jonathan Ikone in the final five minutes gave Fiorentina a 2-1 win.
Roma lined up with a largely second-string team in preparation for the Europa League final against Sevilla on Wednesday, while ninth-placed Fiorentina have a week more to prepare for their Europa Conference League final with West Ham.
The away side had led from the 12th minute thanks to Stephan El Shaarawy's seventh Serie A goal of the season, tapped in from Ola Solbakken's knockdown.
However, the only way Roma can now reach Europe's top club competition is by beating their Spanish opposition in Budapest midweek.
- Castellanos explains ring celebration: 'Why would I give the middle finger?'
- Wheeler strikes out 8, Phillies beat Marlins in wild-card opener
- Diamondbacks rally to defeat Burnes, Brewers in Game 1
- Mariners have resources to make moves after 88-win season but it might not be in free agency
- Flames' Dube: Coronato's shot 'up there with the top guys in the league'