Lazio up to 2nd place after derby win over 10-man Roma
Lazio moved into second place in Serie A with a 1-0 Rome derby win on Sunday.
Mattia Zaccagni's 65th-minute winner ensured his team did the double over 10-man Roma.
A typically fiery derby clash was prefaced by tensions between supporters and police and a Lazio fan display quoting William Shakespeare's play Henry V.
But the on-pitch spectacle left a lot to be desired, especially after Roger Ibanez saw red in the 32nd minute for two daft tackles.
That was the first of what would end up being five red cards, each team having a staff member sent off near half-time before Roma's Bryan Cristante and Lazio's Adam Marusic were also dismissed following a post-match scuffle.
Roma were denied a leveller seconds after Zaccagni put Lazio ahead, Nicolo Casale's own goal ruled out after Chris Smalling had strayed offside to the dismay of their fans and the delight of Lazio's.
"It's a great win which allows us to look at the coming matches with more enthusiasm. It's as good as it gets," said Zaccagni after climbing into the stands to celebrate with supporters.
Fifth-placed Roma missed the chance to move into the top four positions. They stay a point behind AC Milan who lost 3-1 at Udinese on Saturday night.
- Cole cements Cy Young bid with 2-hit shutout of Blue Jays
- Orioles lower AL East magic number to 1 with win over Nationals
- Mets' Lindor secures 1st career 30-30 season with 3 HRs in doubleheader
- Where the Lillard trade leaves Bucks, Blazers, and Suns
- Jets' Saleh, players OK with Rodgers calling out team amid struggles