Sassuolo eliminated from Coppa Italia after 2nd-round defeat to Modena
Milan, Aug 8, 2022 (AFP) - Sassuolo were knocked out of the Italian Cup on Monday after falling to a 3-2 second-round defeat at local rivals Modena.
Nicola Mosti scored once in each half in a deserved victory for Serie B side Modena, who took the lead in the 11th minute thanks to Diego Falcinelli's deflected strike from the edge of the area.
Domenico Berardi netted for Sassuolo from the penalty spot in the second minute of first-half stoppage time.
Although Kaan Ayhan pulled another one back with three minutes remaining, Sassuolo were unable to find the leveller which would have taken the match into extra time, and became the fifth Serie A team to exit the cup.
Genoa won Monday's other early match, 3-2 against fellow second-tier outfit Benevento.
Two Serie A sides complete the second-round fixtures later on Monday, with newly promoted Cremonese hosting Ternana and Bologna taking on Cosenza.
- Orioles bash Red Sox, slice AL wild-card deficit
- Lamb's 1-handed TD catch propels Cowboys past Giants
- Judge, stuck at 60, homerless for 6th straight, Jays beat Yankees in 10th
- Elder dominates Nats, 1st Braves rookie to throw shutout since 1990
- Dumba not worried about trade, extension entering contract year