Torino close in on European places with win over Sampdoria
Milan, Jan 15, 2022 (AFP) - Torino moved to within one point of Serie A's European places on Saturday after coming from behind to win 2-1 at Sampdoria.
Headers in each half from Wilfried Singo and Denis Praet moved Ivan Juric's side up to 31 points, just behind Fiorentina, who sit in the Conference League spot, Roma and Lazio.
Torino, who are ninth, also have a game in hand on Roma and Lazio after their match at Atalanta earlier this month was postponed following a spike of Covid cases at the Turin-based club.
Francesco Caputo scored for Sampdoria, who stay 15th and four points above the relegation zone after their third straight defeat.
They should have snatched a late draw when Fabio Quagliarella headed wide from close range when set up with a pinpoint cross from Riccardo Ciervo with a minute remaining.
Later on Saturday, Salernitana host Lazio, whose president Claudio Lotito used to own both clubs, while Juventus look to bounce back from Super Cup defeat to Inter Milan when they face Udinese in Turin.
- Marlins' Alcantara pitches 2nd complete game of season in win
- Duvall, Wright lead Braves over Phillies to improve to 21-5 in June
- Saint John takes down Hamilton to capture 2022 Memorial Cup
- Manfred: Assertion that 'I hate the game' is 'most ridiculous thing'
- Flyers unsure if Ellis will be ready by training camp