Three Lions, Lionesses to play Australian counterparts in April
Sydney, Feb 21, 2023 (AFP) - Australia's men and women teams will play their English counterparts in a double-header in London this year, the two countries said on Tuesday.
The Matildas will face England's Lionesses on April 11 at the home of Premier League Brentford.
It will serve as crucial preparation for the Women's World Cup, which Australia will co-host with New Zealand in July and August.
On October 13, the men's sides will meet in another friendly, at Wembley -- the first time Australia have played at the historic stadium.
"Australian football has always enjoyed a strong bond with football in the United Kingdom," said Football Australia chief executive James Johnson.
"Historically, we had a prominent presence of male players throughout the English Premier League and the English Championship.
"This was followed by a very lean period but today, we have seen a resurgence of Australian footballers, both men and women, plying their trade in leagues across the United Kingdom."
- Bellingham: Scottish fans who booed English anthem motivated us
- Germany ends winless run with morale-boosting victory over France
- Bellingham shines, England humbles resurgent Scotland in anniversary match
- Old rival England the 'benchmark' for buoyant Scotland, says Clarke
- Southgate: 'Horrendous' to admit I once supported Scotland