Benatia returns to Marseille as sporting director
Former Juventus and Bayern Munich defender Medhi Benatia has returned to Marseille, the club where he started, as sporting director, the Ligue 1 side announced on Thursday.
The 36-year-old, who played 66 times for Morocco and captained them at the 2018 World Cup, takes over from Javier Ribalta in the wake of a tumultuous meeting between the club's directors and representatives of supporters' groups in September.
However, he will not have the same status as Ribalta, who was a member of the board.
"Medhi Benatia... will help to develop and implement the club's sporting strategy, in particular to attract, train and retain the best talent," the club said in a statement.
Marseille, 12th in Ligue 1, host Rennes on Sunday.
- Honduran striker Elis suffers serious head injury during Bordeaux game
- Camara's hat-trick boosts Brest's improbable Champions League hopes
- La Liga president: Real Madrid have 99% chance of signing Mbappe
- Europa League draw: Liverpool get Sparta Prague, Roma meet Brighton in last 16
- Milan and Roma into last 16, bad day for French clubs in Europa League