Football fan in 'serious condition' after Wembley Stadium fall
London, June 13, 2021 (AFP) - A football supporter was rushed to hospital in a "serious condition" after falling from the stands at Wembley during England's 1-0 victory over Croatia at Euro 2020 on Sunday.
"We can confirm that a spectator fell from the stands just after kick-off in the match between England and Croatia at Wembley Stadium," a stadium spokesperson said.
"The spectator was given on-site medical attention and was then taken to hospital in a serious condition."
Stadium officials said they will work alongside European football's governing body UEFA to investigate the incident.
A crowd of 18,497 watched the match at Wembley.
The stadium will host eight matches during the tournament. It has a current limit of 22,500 fans -- a quarter of its capacity -- but there are hopes that both semi-finals and the final could be played out in front of larger numbers.
- Giants win 100 games for 1st time since 2003
- Cole, Stanton lead Yankees past Red Sox, cut wild-card lead to 1
- Love: Getting called out for making Olympic team was 'wrong in so many ways'
- NHL enforcing stricter cross-checking rules in 2021-22
- Wiggins denied religious exemption for COVID-19 vaccine, can't play at home