Watch: Kane surpasses Rooney as England's top scorer with penalty vs. Italy
Harry Kane became England's all-time leading scorer Thursday, recording his 54th international goal by converting a penalty and giving his country a 2-0 lead in its opening Euro 2024 qualifier against Italy.
Wayne Rooney set the previous benchmark with 53 goals in 120 appearances for the Three Lions between 2003 and 2018.
(Available to view in U.S. only)
(Available to view in Canada only)
Kane initially drew level with Rooney after scoring a penalty in England's World Cup quarterfinal defeat to France. The 29-year-old striker missed a second spot-kick in the same match.
Overall, Kane has scored 18 of his 54 goals from the penalty spot and 12 in major competitions. He needed only 81 appearances to establish a new record.
- Nationals' Lile stretchered off with back injury after flipping into bullpen
- Guerendo, Wright, Benson top RB 40-yard dash times
- Kuznetsov waived after clearing player assistance program
- Report: Tyron Smith to hit free agency, return to Cowboys unlikely
- Report: 49ers tried to hire Spagnuolo before new deal