Convicted rapist Alves fails to raise bail, remains in jail

BARCELONA CATALONIA, SPAIN - FEBRUARY 05: Former soccer player Dani Alves during a trial at the Barcelona Court on February 5, 2024, in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. Alves is accused of sexual assault on a girl in a bathroom of the Sutton nightclub in the Catalan capital on the night of December 30-31, 2022. Denounced by the 23-year-old girl, he sits in the dock of the Audiencia de Barcelona and faces a nine-year prison request from the Prosecutor's Office, which the victim's defense raises to 12 years. After a year and 15 days in custody in Brians, the Brazilian arrives after having changed his version of events up to five times.
Europa Press News / Europa Press / Getty

Find the biggest stories from across the soccer world by visiting our Top Soccer News section and subscribing to push notifications.

Convicted rapist and former Brazil international footballer Dani Alves will remain in jail until at least Monday after failing to raise the €1-million bail set by a Barcelona court to ensure his release pending appeal.

Wednesday's surprise decision by the court caught prosecutors off guard as the footballer had routinely been refused bail since his arrest in January 2023 on grounds he was a high flight risk.

One of the world's most decorated footballers, Alves, 40, was convicted last month of raping a young woman in the VIP bathroom of a Barcelona nightclub in the early hours of Dec. 31, 2022.

His lawyers swiftly appealed the conviction and on Tuesday requested he be let out on bail on grounds he had already served a quarter of his four-and-a-half-year sentence in pre-trial detention.

A day later, the Barcelona court approved the request on condition that Alves post bail of €1 million, hand over his Spanish and Brazilian passports, remain in the country and present himself to court "on a weekly basis."

But he has since missed a daily 2:00 p.m. local cut-off time for presenting the funds, meaning he has had to remain in jail.

His lawyer on Friday asked for a one-hour extension until 3:00 p.m. local time, but his representatives had not transferred the money by that time, so Alves will have to remain in jail over the weekend until the court office reopens on Monday, legal sources said.

The footballer's financial situation has deteriorated since his arrest in January 2023. The case led Mexican club Pumas UNAM to sack him and other sources of income to dry up, his defence team said.

Since his arrest, Alves has been held at a prison near Barcelona.

The appeal process could take months to complete.

The court's decision to grant him bail was angrily denounced by the victim's lawyer as "justice for the rich."

XRedditFacebookWhatsAppEmailSMS