Winless Almeria held by 10-man Real Betis
Find the biggest stories from across the soccer world by visiting our Top Soccer News section and subscribing to push notifications.
La Liga's bottom side Almeria were held 0-0 at home by 10-man Real Betis on Sunday.
The winless Andalusian side were given a fine chance to pick up their first victory of the season when Hector Bellerin was sent off for an ugly tackle on Adri Embarba midway through the first half.
Betis goalkeeper Rui Silva made several good saves in the second half to keep Almeria at bay, while the hosts also struck the woodwork twice.
"You can't fail to take advantage of so many chances," Almeria midfielder Sergio Arribas told Movistar.
"It's a bit tough to take, but that's football."
Betis, seventh, fought hard to take a point and are one behind Real Sociedad in sixth.
Almeria are seven points from safety after four draws and 11 defeats in 15 matches.
Later Sunday, champions Barcelona, fourth, host third-place Atletico Madrid, with both teams aiming to cut the seven-point gap on the top two.
La Liga leaders Real Madrid beat Granada 2-0 on Saturday, while Girona, second, came from behind to defeat Valencia 2-1.
- Canucks fall to Avs, drop 3 straight for 1st time this season
- Shesterkin makes 41 saves, Rangers top Stars for 8th straight win
- Ovechkin, McMichael each score twice as Capitals crush Devils
- Report: Brewers, Sánchez restructure deal over wrist concerns
- Report: Dubas listening on all Penguins' non-core players