Torres begins stint as coach for Atlético’s youth team
MADRID (AP) — Fernando Torres began a new stint at Atlético Madrid on Monday, overseeing his first training session as a youth-team coach.
The former Atlético star will be leading the club's under-19 squad this season.
The 37-year-old Torres, who retired as a player two years ago while in Chinese soccer, played for Atlético in two different periods, from 2001-07 and 2015-18.
The former Spain striker scored 129 goals in 404 matches with the Madrid team. He also had spells with Liverpool, Chelsea and AC Milan.
Atlético said Torres spent time with the club last season learning its coaching methodology.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Report: Ramirez prefers to stay in Cleveland for rest of career
- Report: Texans not expected to deal Cooks, Tunsil ahead of trade deadline
- Report: Good chance Red Sox extend qualifying offer to Rodriguez
- NFL Week 8 O/U best bets: Texans, Panthers offenses hard to trust
- Tarasenko: 'Very emotional' moment when fans chanted my name