Inigo Martinez will join Athletic after paying €32M termination clause
On Tuesday, Athletic Club announced that Martinez will join Los Leones once his contract expires by virtue of depositing €32 million, the termination clause's value, at the Liga de Futbol Profesional's headquarters. The Basque defender will sign a deal valid until June 30, 2023, with the cancellation clause valued at €80 million.
Real Sociedad later announced that Martinez had his contract terminated after matching his release clause at La Liga's office, thereby ending his relationship with the Txuri-urdinak.
Martinez, who is a product of Real Sociedad, is swapping one Basque club for another. At a time when football is more globalised than ever, Athetic continues to succeed as a club whose squad is made up entirely of Basque footballers.
- Leyland touched by tributes from across baseball after HOF election
- 76ers' Kelly Oubre Jr. scoffs at questions about legitimacy of his injury
- Fantasy Podcast: 15 new injuries that will impact your playoff chances
- Report: 4-5 teams showing strong interest in Rays' Glasnow
- Gloria Allred representing family involved with Josh Giddey case