Arsenal outclass Man City in Community Shield
LONDON, Aug 10, 2014 (AFP) - Arsenal overpowered Manchester City 3-0 in the Community Shield at Wembley Stadium on Sunday to claim the first piece of silverware of the 2014-15 English season.
The FA Cup winners took a two-goal lead into half-time thanks to strikes from midfielders Santi Cazorla and Aaron Ramsey, with substitute Olivier Giroud curling home their third from 25 yards on the hour.
It was Arsenal's 13th Community Shield success and their first since 2004.
Arsene Wenger's side open their Premier League campaign at home to Crystal Palace on Saturday, while Manuel Pellegrini's defending champions City visit Newcastle United the following day.
- Key thoughts and analysis from Saturday's Premier League action
- Ten Hag: Hard-fought win over Burnley can be turning point for Man United
- Watch: Man United's Fernandes channels Van Persie with sensational volley
- Luton earn 1st Premier League point in draw with 10-man Wolves
- 10-man City show silk and steel to stay perfect in Premier League