Arsenal outclass Man City in Community Shield
LONDON, Aug 10, 2014 (AFP) - Arsenal overpowered Manchester City 3-0 in the Community Shield at Wembley Stadium on Sunday to claim the first piece of silverware of the 2014-15 English season.
The FA Cup winners took a two-goal lead into half-time thanks to strikes from midfielders Santi Cazorla and Aaron Ramsey, with substitute Olivier Giroud curling home their third from 25 yards on the hour.
It was Arsenal's 13th Community Shield success and their first since 2004.
Arsene Wenger's side open their Premier League campaign at home to Crystal Palace on Saturday, while Manuel Pellegrini's defending champions City visit Newcastle United the following day.
- Liverpool settle for 2nd consecutive draw after Nunez sees red vs. Palace
- Tuchel and Conte charged after Battle of the Bridge
- Souness refuses to back down from 'man's game' comment despite backlash
- Report: Ronaldo's wantaway antics softening Ten Hag's tough transfer stance
- Manchester City's Mendy labeled 'predator' as rape trial starts