United States captain Steve Stricker said a decision on whether or not the 2020 Ryder Cup will proceed is coming before the end of June.
"So far, we're planning it as a go, like we're going to have it," Stricker told the "Golf Affect Radio Show" earlier this week, according to Golf Channel's Ryan Lavner. "But there's some obstacles that we're going to have to face, I think. The confidence of the people and the corporate people. It's going to come down to probably the safety. And who knows, right?
"They're going to have to make a decision here probably within the next two or three weeks because the buildup to put up all the stands and all the corporate tents, all that kind of stuff, has to happen in June."
The Ryder Cup is currently slated for Sept. 25-27 at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin, but the coronavirus pandemic has created uncertainty around the event.
Notable players such as Rory McIlroy and Brooks Koepka have said they would prefer to see the event delayed until 2021 if September's competition can't be played with fans in attendance. Stricker agreed, admitting a fanless Ryder Cup would be a "yawner of an event."
European Tour chief executive Keith Pelley confirmed Stricker's end-of-June timeline during a recent appearance on the "McKellar Golf Podcast," according to Geoff Shackelford.