Man City's Foden withdraws from England squad due to appendicitis
Phil Foden withdrew from England's squad and is set to miss at least one key match for Manchester City after undergoing surgery to remove his appendix, the Premier League club announced Sunday.
The English midfielder was ruled out of Sunday's Euro 2024 qualifier against Ukraine and will return to Manchester to begin rehabilitation.
Manchester City said Foden will miss their Premier League game against Liverpool on Saturday and that it's "unclear" when the 22-year-old will be available to play again for Pep Guardiola's second-place team.
After hosting Jurgen Klopp's Reds, Manchester City take on Southampton in the run-up to their first-leg clash with Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarterfinals on April 11.
England boss Gareth Southgate said he won't call anyone up to replace Foden despite being short on defenders. Reece James was forced to leave the Three Lions' camp due to injury Saturday, while Luke Shaw is unavailable against Ukraine through suspension.
England won its opening qualifying match 2-1 over Italy on Thursday.
- Roberts: Dodgers have no answer to Syndergaard's struggles
- Nuggets take 2-1 series lead over Heat behind 30-20-10 Jokic game
- Semien's hitting streak ends at 25 games during Rangers' loss to Cards
- Prescott lauds McCarthy-led offense: 'System that's not out there'
- Bassitt works 8 strong innings to help Blue Jays beat Astros