Report: Manchester City set to sign River Plate phenom Alvarez
The deal's total cost could be less than £20 million, with only the final details still being ironed out, according to Dawson.
Alvarez, 21, isn't expected to link up with City immediately even if they reach an agreement in January. The Premier League leaders would consider loaning him back to River Plate or finding another temporary destination until he arrives at the Etihad Stadium in the summer, at the earliest, Dawson adds.
Fellow European heavyweights Milan, Barcelona, and Real Madrid were also tracking the young forward, who already has five caps for Argentina.
Even if Alvarez ends up in Manchester ahead of next season, sources told Dawson that Pep Guardiola's team would still be in the market for an "established" striker, with Erling Haaland and Harry Kane among the list of targets.
- NHL announces playoff schedule for Round 2 matchups
- Flames finally solve Oettinger in OT to eliminate Stars
- CP3 plans to be back for 18th season: 'I'm not retiring tomorrow'
- By the numbers: Wildest stats from Mavs' Game 7 blowout over Suns
- Pujols reflects on 1st career pitching appearance: 'A dream come true'