Bayern Munich kick off new Bundesliga season at Frankfurt
Berlin, June 17, 2022 (AFP) - Champions Bayern Munich will kick off the new Bundesliga season at Europa League winners Eintracht Frankfurt on August 5, the German Football League (DFL) announced Friday.
On the opening weekend, last season's runners-up, Borussia Dortmund, host fellow Champions League side Bayer Leverkusen, and there is a Berlin derby with Union at home to neighbours Hertha.
As the World Cup in Qatar runs from Nov. 21 until the final on Dec. 18, the Bundesliga pauses after the weekend of Nov. 12 and resumes on Jan. 20, 2023.
The German Super Cup, traditionally the season opener, takes place on July 30 when domestic cup winners RB Leipzig host Bundesliga champions Bayern.
That same weekend, the first round of the German Cup takes place, with Bayern and Leipzig playing their ties at the end of August.
- McKenzie strikes out career-high 14 as Guardians rally to beat White Sox
- Boone: Yankees 'should be ticked off' after shutout loss to Blue Jays
- Mac Jones solid, Panthers pause QB battle in Pats' 20-10 win
- Astros' Alvarez transported to hospital after feeling ill on field
- Vanessa Bryant says crash photos turned grief to horror