'Bubbling' Germany back on track at Euro 2020, says Muller
Munich, Germany, June 19, 2021 (AFP) - Thomas Mueller said confidence is now sky high in the Germany camp after getting their Euro 2020 campaign back on track with a 4-2 thumping of holders Portugal on Saturday.
"We are allowed to feel a little euphoria," said Mueller after Germany moved second in Group F, level on three points with Portugal and a point behind leaders France.
"It's just fun playing in this atmosphere. The cauldron is boiling."
Germany left-back Robin Gosens produced a man-of-the-match performance in Munich by heading home the hosts' fourth goal and weighing in with two assists.
Cristiano Ronaldo put Portugal ahead, but the Germans roared back with four unanswered goals as Kai Havertz and Gosens hit the net after own goals by Ruben Dias and Raphael Guerreiro.
Diogo Jota grabbed Portugal's second goal, but Germany deserved their win to bounce back after their opening defeat by France.
Germany now need to beat Hungary in Munich on Wednesday to be sure of reaching the knock-out stage.
"Now we have the three points, we are well in the tournament and have it in our own hands," added Mueller.
"We mustn't get carried away and become arrogant -- but we must believe in our quality."
- Jalen Smereck to sit out until UHL bans player who made racist gesture
- LeBron: Getting vaccinated was best choice for me and my family, friends
- Syndergaard to make 1st start in nearly 2 years vs. Marlins
- Tomlin not pushing panic button with Steelers at 1-2
- NFL Week 4 survivor picks: Buffalo or bust in a week primed for upsets