Watch: Rodri helps Man City get UCL title defense off to winning start
It wasn't pretty, but Manchester City came out on top of their opening Champions League clash, fighting back to beat Crvena Zvezda 3-1 at the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday.
After the visitors took the surprise lead heading into halftime, Manchester City, the Champions League holders, came roaring back in the second half to complete the comeback win.
Julian Alvarez brought City level two minutes after the break before putting the hosts ahead for good when his free-kick sailed into the Crvena Zvezda net following goalkeeper Omri Glazer's miscalculated clearance attempt.
Rodri, who scored the winning goal in last season's Champions League final, helped to secure the three points with a curling strike from just inside the penalty area.
(Available to view in U.S. only)
(Available to view in Canada only)
- Fernandes undaunted as Man United prepare for Galatasaray cauldron
- PSG 'far' from Luis Enrique's expectations before Newcastle clash
- Giroud's importance greater than ever as Milan enter crunch time in UCL
- Ancelotti backs rival Xavi to turn things around at Barcelona
- Xavi feels 'total trust' at Barcelona despite poor performances