Lewandowski ready for fresh start: My story at Bayern Munich is over
The prolific scorer reiterated his desire to leave Bayern Munich this summer, telling reporters that he hopes the Bavarian side doesn't "make me stay."
"As of today my story at Bayern is over," he said Monday during a press conference with the Polish national team, according to Manuel Veth of Forbes.
"After what happened in the last few months, I don't see any chance to continue my career at the club. I hope they don't make me stay just because they can."
Barcelona have been heavily linked with the Polish forward. Manager Xavi told reporters last week that Lewandowski is "an option" for the Catalan outfit. Barcelona reportedly approached Bayern Munich with an offer worth €32 million, according to Agence France-Presse.
Bayern Munich could technically reject Lewandowski's demand, given that the 33-year-old is under contract until June 2023 and club officials, such as CEO Oliver Kahn and director of sports Hasan Salihamidzic, have insisted he will not be sold this year. But keeping him in Munich another season would put Bayern in danger of losing Lewandowski for nothing next year.
Lewandowski's agent Pini Zahavi said earlier in May that his client has "felt disrespected by those in charge (at Bayern) for months, that's the truth," according to AFP.
Lewandowski, who joined Bayern from Borussia Dortmund in 2014, ended the 2021-22 campaign with 50 goals in 46 appearances in all competitions.
He was pivotal in helping Bayern win the Bundesliga in each of the eight seasons he spent in Munich, and he led the German side to a Champions League triumph in 2020.
- Champions League draw: Real Madrid meet Liverpool, Bayern battle PSG in last 16
- Nagelsmann: Bayern in 'results crisis' as PSG clash looms
- UEFA strips Russian city Kazan of hosting Super Cup over Ukraine war
- Report: UEFA to close FFP loophole in wake of Chelsea's long-term deals
- Everything you need to know about the Juventus transfer scandal