Ontario yet to approve CFL's return-to-play proposal
Claus Andersen / Getty Images Sport / Getty

Amid a third COVID-19 wave, Ontario's Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries said the province isn't yet ready to approve the CFL's return-to-play proposal.

"We have not added our name yet in signing off on (the proposal)," Minister Lisa MacLeod said Thursday, according to reporter Arash Madani. "The chief medical officer of Ontario has not signed off on that."

MacLeod added there's "no timeline" on the province approving the league's plan, which would have all teams kick off the 2021 campaign Aug. 5.

After being forced to cancel the last season due to the pandemic and a lack of funding, CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie previously noted the league required approval from all provinces and permission to host a "significant" number of fans.

Minister MacLeod said Thursday that it would "be ambitious" to sign off on 5,000-plus fan stadiums in the province at this time.

"I don't see that at the moment," she added.

Ontario's stance mirrors British Columbia's provincial health officer's, who said a decision on the proposal would have to be made "in the coming weeks."

The CFL has stated it would need to finalize a decision to return to play by mid-June for its August start date and 14-game regular season.

Comments
Ontario yet to approve CFL's return-to-play proposal
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox