Wawrinka advances to face Jarry at Argentina Open
BUENOS AIRES (AP) — Three-time major winner Stan Wawrinka has advanced to a round-of-16 match against third-seeded Nicolás Jarry at the Argentina Open.
Wawrinka, who is ranked No.60, overcame pressure from the home crowd Monday to beat Pedro Cachín 6-7 (4), 6-1, 6-2 at the clay court tournament in Buenos Aires.
Past U.S. Open champion Marin Cilic lost 4-6, 6-3, 6-0 to Laslo Djere in an earlier match.
Top-seeded Carlos Alcaraz is due to start a clay court swing in South America here on Wednesday. The No. 2-ranked Alcaraz will also play at the Rio Open later this month in Brazil.
AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis
- Brazil's Fonseca becomes 1st player born in 2006 to win ATP tour match
- Miami Open tournament director James Blake fined for betting sponsorship ties
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces retirement
- Alcaraz retires hurt from Rio Open match; Wawrinka also out
- Defending champ Norrie moves into Rio Open 2nd round