Medvedev tops Rublev in Dubai final for 3rd straight title
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Daniil Medvedev won this 18th tour-level title and third in a row by beating Andrey Rublev 6-2, 6-2 in an all-Russian final at the Dubai Championships on Saturday.
The former No. 1 extended his winning streak to 14 matches in a run that started on Valentine's Day and included back-to-back trophies in Rotterdam and Doha.
Medvedev, on the second longest winning streak of his career, broke Rublev twice in each set and won the last five games on the hard court.
Rublev was the defending champion but quickly fell behind as he couldn’t hold his serve in the opening game.
Medvedev gave top-ranked Novak Djokovic his first defeat of the year in the semifinals.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Leander Paes becomes 1st Asian man nominated for tennis HOF in player category
- Khachanov wins 1st title in 5 years at Zhuhai Championships
- Team World beats Team Europe to claim back-to-back Laver Cup titles
- David Haggerty re-elected president of the International Tennis Federation
- Musetti beats Rinderknech, advances to Chengdu Open semifinals