Medvedev tops Rublev in Dubai final for 3rd straight title
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Daniil Medvedev won this 18th tour-level title and third in a row by beating Andrey Rublev 6-2, 6-2 in an all-Russian final at the Dubai Championships on Saturday.
The former No. 1 extended his winning streak to 14 matches in a run that started on Valentine's Day and included back-to-back trophies in Rotterdam and Doha.
Medvedev, on the second longest winning streak of his career, broke Rublev twice in each set and won the last five games on the hard court.
Rublev was the defending champion but quickly fell behind as he couldn’t hold his serve in the opening game.
Medvedev gave top-ranked Novak Djokovic his first defeat of the year in the semifinals.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Fils and Medjedovic stay perfect, reach semis at Next Gen Finals
- Sinner leads Italy to 1st Davis Cup title in nearly 50 years
- Sinner enjoys back-to-back wins over Djokovic at Davis Cup
- Sinner helps Italy reach Davis Cup semifinals for 2nd straight season
- Djokovic ready for 'one final push' to finish season