Alcaraz loses Hamburg thriller; 1st tour title for Musetti
HAMBURG, Germany (AP) — Lorenzo Musetti needed six match points Sunday to upset top-seeded Carlos Alcaraz 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-4 in the final of the Hamburg European Open.
The 20-year-old Italian claimed his first tour-level title in 2 hours, 47 minutes.
Alcaraz was aiming to improve his 5-0 record in finals and was also chasing his fifth title this year alone after wins in Madrid, Barcelona, Miami and Rio de Janeiro.
The 19-year-old Spaniard fought back from 5-3 down in the second set and saved five match points to take the Hamburg final to a third set.
But Musetti didn’t fold and the 62nd-ranked player from Carrara, Italy, finally took his chance at the sixth time of asking.
American Bernarda Pera beat top-seeded Anett Kontaveit to win the women’s final on Saturday.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Musetti beats Rinderknech, advances to Chengdu Open semifinals
- David Haggerty re-elected president of the International Tennis Federation
- Asian tournaments: Wang Xiyu wins 1st WTA title, Andy Murray loses in Zhuhai
- Team World sweeps past Team Europe in opening 3 matches at Laver Cup
- Federer's outfit from final Grand Slam title could fetch $35K at auction