7th-seeded Hurkacz loses in 1st round
Hubert Hurkacz came into Wimbledon as a contender for the title. He’ll leave after the first round.
The seventh-seeded Pole lost to Alejandro Davidovich Fokina of Spain 7-6 (4), 6-4, 5-7, 2-6, 7-6 (10-8) on No. 3 Court on the opening day of the tournament.
The 25-year-old Hurkacz beat Roger Federer a year ago on Centre Court en route to the semifinals. He then prepared for Wimbledon by beating top-ranked Daniil Medvedev in the final of the grass-court event in Halle, Germany.
Federer isn’t in the field this year after a series of knee operations and Medvedev is missing the tournament because all players from Russia and Belarus are banned over the war in Ukraine.
- Federer bids farewell to tennis after losing doubles match with Nadal
- Federer, Nadal, Djokovic set new bar for next generations
- Laver Cup protester delays match after setting court, arm on fire
- Unvaccinated Novak Djokovic awaiting word on Australian Open
- Retired Federer offers advice to Laver Cup sub Berrettini