Sakkari advances, Petkovic upsets Muguruza in Berlin
BERLIN (AP) — The second-seeded Maria Sakkari eased into the second round of the Berlin Open on Tuesday with a 6-3, 6-2 win over French qualifier Leolia Jeanjean, while Andrea Petkovic delighted the home fans by upsetting Garbine Muguruza.
Petkovic defeated the fifth-seeded Muguruza 7-6 (8), 6-4 for her first win over a top 10 player since beating Petra Kvitova at the U.S. Open in 2019.
The German will next face Aliaksandra Sasnovich of Belarus for a place in the quarterfinals.
Sakkari, who avenged her loss to Jeanjean in their only previous meeting in 2013, will play Australian qualifier Daria Saville next.
Belinda Bencic defeated German wild card Jule Niemeier 6-4, 5-7, 6-3 for another second-round match against Anna Kalinskaya. Bencic beat the Russian player in the same round in 's-Hertogenbosch last week.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Federer hopes he can play at Wimbledon 'one more time'
- Sinner beats Alcaraz in battle of rising stars to book quarterfinal berth
- Norrie becomes 1st British man to reach Wimbledon quarters since 2017
- Goffin outlasts Tiafoe in marathon match to reach Wimbledon quarters
- Wimbledon crowds down 7% from 2019; 2nd-lowest since 2007