Shapovalov upset in 1st round of French Open by Danish teenager
PARIS (AP) — Danish teenager Holger Rune upset 14th-seeded Denis Shapovalov 6-3, 6-1, 7-6 (4) in the first round of the French Open.
The 19-year-old Rune won the BMW Open this month and was a semifinalist in Lyon last week.
Shapovalov fought back in the third set to force a tiebreaker but fell behind 3-1 and couldn't recover, sending a forehand wide on match point.
Rune won the French Open junior championship in 2019.
The Dane defeated Alexander Zverev en route to his first tour title in Munich.
- Wimbledon primer: Djokovic won't get vaccine, Swiatek looks to extend streak
- Tsitsipas beats Bautista Agut to win Mallorca Championships
- Wimbledon draw: Serena to open against 113th-ranked Harmony Tan
- Madison Keys, Borna Coric withdraw from Wimbledon with injuries
- Medvedev loses to Bautista Agut in Mallorca quarterfinals