American players Fritz, McDonald, Paul win in St. Petersburg
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (AP) — American players Taylor Fritz, Mackenzie McDonald and Tommy Paul all won their first-round matches at the St. Petersburg Open on Tuesday.
The fifth-seeded Fritz beat Finnish qualifier Emil Ruusuvuori 6-1, 6-4 and will next face Paul, who defeated Spanish player Pedro Martinez 6-3, 6-2.
McDonald beat Egor Gerasimov of Belarus 7-5, 6-4 and will next play third-seeded Roberto Bautista Agut.
Pablo Andujar, Ilya Ivashka, John Millman and Dutch qualifier Botic Van de Zandschulp also won. Ivashka will next play top-seeded Andrey Rublev, while Andujar will next meet second-seeded Denis Shapovalov and Van de Zandschulp will take on Sebastian Korda.
More AP Tennis: https://www.apnews.com/apf-Tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Nadal hangs on to beat Shapovalov, advances to Aussie Open semis
- Australian Open overnight: Quarterfinal brackets set after Day 8
- Medvedev closing in on consecutive Grand Slam titles
- Go Canada: Auger-Aliassime joins Shapovalov in Aussie Open quarters
- Navratilova slams 'pathetic' Aussie Open for stopping fans' Peng Shuai protest