Duckworth to play Kwon for Astana Open title
NUR-SULTAN, Kazakhstan (AP) — There will be a first-time title winner at the Astana Open after two players who had never reached a tour final won their semifinal matches on Saturday.
James Duckworth of Australia will play South Korea's Kwon Soon-woo for the title on Sunday in the capital of Kazakhstan.
Duckworth won 6-3, 7-6(4) against eighth-seeded Ilya Ivashka after breaking back from 3-1 down in the second set. It was the third consecutive straight-sets win over a seeded player for the 65th-ranked Duckworth and his ninth straight win overall after winning a Challenger tournament in Istanbul, Turkey, last week.
"I knew it was going to be really difficult but I managed to win that second set in a tie-break," Duckworth said. "It was a very close set that could have gone either way. I think I played the big points well."
Kwon reached his first final with a 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 win over Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Britain, Kazakhstan, Croatia advance at Davis Cup Finals
- At 40, Lopez fills in fine for Nadal, Alcaraz in Davis Cup
- Spain's Alcaraz out of Davis Cup Finals after testing positive for virus
- Ymer brothers help Sweden stun Canada in Davis Cup Finals
- ATP Cup kicks off Australian Open tune-up events Down Under